Wednesday 10 August 2011

Dampening discord & nurturing nostalgia

In the light of what's been going down here in the urban jungle of late, I've not been in a good mindset for blogging and I'm still feeling a bit off key; the figurative grand piano has taken a great big knock and it's playing woefully out of tune.
So I'm just going to give you some pictures of my mummy instead cause I'm missing her very much at the moment.
It's at times like these I wish I could turn around to the nearest adult and ask them to phone my mummy to come and collect me cause quite frankly...
"Jennie doesn't want to play anymore!" ;)
Here's my beautiful mamma Ewa:
I believe she was 15 years old when this was taken. I wish she'd held onto that frock ;)

These two photos were taken when mum did a spot of modelling for a local photographers studio. She was only 16 years old but looks atleast twenty I think. A year later my  mum gave birth to my oldest brother Pelle.
Tea & fag break on the balcony in August 1965.
I think this was taken on a trip to Poland in the 60s, check out the groovy print on the dress...yeah baby!
This is one of my favourite pics ever, my mum looks amazinlgy stylish & beautiful. I return to this photo for style inspiration again & again.
A knitted ensemble this time teamed with a cute smile. Check out the funky furniture...I'd so have that in my house today.
Here's mummy clad in a fabulous floral blouse with her pigtail plaits, giving yours truly a sink bath ;)
My mum became involved in local politics in the 70s, I guess that's where I get my activist streak from ;)
She smoked for years and years but then one day when she was fourty-odd she binned her stinky sticks and haven't smoked since ;)
Here's a local news clipping from 1976, it reads "Mother of five & ninth name on the town council list Ewa Andersson,29, demands more childcare opportunities & jobs for women, 5 year old Jessica & Jennie who is almost two agree" ;)
Here's the three of us again, several years later at Christmas, all wearing Laura Ashley style fine frockery.
Yesterday's outfit incorporated one of my mum's dresses from the late 70s.
A very elegant 40s inspired frock...
I've teamed it with a pair of vintage heels, Coach bag, 80s sunnies and a pair of crochet & stone heart earrings... all from car boot sales ;)
I love wearing my mum's old clobber, it makes me feel a little bit closer to her ;)
Close-up for you fellow print geeks ;)
Here are some other treasured bits & pieces that used to take pride of place in my mums wardrobe...
She LOVED clog boots back in the late 70s & early 80s.
This top was handmade my a woman that lived up the road from mum when she was a teenager. Mum wore this on the night she got together with my bio-dad.
This was another staple in my mums 70s wardrobe, I remember admiringly looking up at that yellow sleeve when I was the size of a midget ;)
That's all for today folks!
Hope you are all keeping safe in these crazy times.
Lot's of love,
Jennie
xXx


17 comments:

Ivy Black said...

What a fabulous post. And your mum rocks...what a stylish and inspirational lady!
Take care...it appears to have quietened down out there!
xxxx

Helga said...

OMG she's SO GORGEOUS!!! She is staring back at me everytime I look at your face! And styley!! O!
A welcome distraction from the awful things happening over there,stay strong and out of the way!!
Love!
XXXXXXXXX

Franca said...

I love all these pictures! I think I need to scan ones of my mum in!

I hope you are ok. I'm really worried this is all going to end up in a bit right wing (even further) crackdown on benefits and stuff for kids to do, but we'll see I suppose.

Nelly said...

Now we all know where your pretty face comes from wasnt she a knock out?

Anonymous said...

Agreeing with Nelly, and we can also see where you got your sense of style. I haven't seen a pair of clog boots in a long time, love them.

Take care!

Rose&Bird said...

Firstly, let me just say I'm relieved to hear you're safe, my dear x

Your mum looks amazing in those pictures, I can certainly see where you get your stylishness from x

Krista said...

Your mum is beautiful I love all these photos of her and the one with you in the sink, too cute for words. The fact that you have some great pieces from her wardrobe is just amazing it gives me chills really to see you wearing these.

Take care my dear.

Vix said...

Dear Jennie
I love those pictures of your mum, you and her are so very alike.
It's all very depressing here at the moment. I'm not surprised you want a feel of home.
Any plans for a trip back to the homeland soon?
Loads of love,
Vix
xxx

Penny Dreadful Vintage said...

You look so similar, the same eyes and smile and everything. I miss my mum too, it is hard living in a different country isn't it. I adore the outfit on you, and your hair looks incredible up like that. Take care chicken xx

Lisa said...

How pretty your mom is! And what a great outfit you assembled from her vintage pieces. Love the old photos!

doradadama said...

Amor, your Mama is gorgeous, I see where you get your great style and stunning looks now. I love family fotos. wish my mom would of taken more.
sorry I been behind also on commenting due to other family drama. its awful whats going on I almost flew back to Cali.
My blog link is working only prob is my dashboard is not showing my post.
take care amor
everything will sort out. seems like its calming down now.

Rosalind said...

I have been very grateful to have my family around me during the last week. There is definitely something very comforting about the solidity of the past. What an inspiration your mum looks - both in style and personality.

Jessica said...

Most wonderful post ever, darling sister.

Ellinor Forje said...

These photos are amazing. Love the vintage spead, and the polka dotted dress. Thanks for sharing the photos and feel free to drop by me too, soon.

Smashingbird said...

What gorgeous pics you have, you're very lucky for your mum to have saved some clothes for you too. xxx

Unknown said...

Oh I just love so much in this post Jennie...

Her shoes and handbag on the park bench!

The fabulous couches in the black and white shot!

The floral print while bathing you!

Your beautifully understated and elegant frock - and THE YELLOW LEATHER JACKET!

Just lovely - thank so much!

Sarah xxx

Steve Cook said...

Those retro photos of your Mum are Fab!