Friday 1 February 2013

Easy peasy lemon squeezy layering

After waxing lyrical about the overlay function on PicMonkey earlier, I decided to go one further and do a basic tutorial.
It really is easy peasy lemon squeezy ;)
I chose a photo of my mum from her modelling days in the late 50s & a photo that I took in Eastbourne last year.
As they both have a neutral & uncluttered background they are easier to blend together.
I also used a plain white base image to layer the pics on but you don't have to, I just like doing it this way cause it offers more scope of movement.
So here's my little tutorial...
Find two images that you want to merge together and a plain white base image  if  you want. 
Go on to PicMonkey and click the 'Edit a Photo' option. I chose to work on a white base image but you can just open one of your photos instead.
Now I have opened my base image and I want to add my two pics onto it. I do that by going to the 'Overlays'  tool, fifth icon from the top on the left hand side of your screen and click the 'Your Own' option at the top.
Here I've added my two pics to my base image and now I can start  having some fun with them. 
In order to really blend the two images together, the best course of action is to  tweak around with the  fade slider and the blend modes. There is also a handy eraser tool.
Lined up and blended to my liking. With some images it is quite difficult to completely get rid of the seams where the two images overlap.
Now I want to crop the layered image , so I click the top icon, then simply adjust & apply.
If you want to add more effects to the image, you can do so by clicking on the second icon from the top to access some awesome  stuff. Not all of the effects will be suitable for your new image cause they make the overlap seams show up again...play around with it :)
You can also add a frame to your image by clicking the sixth icon from the top to access frames. 
As a final touch you can also add some text by clicking the 'P' icon to access loads of cool fonts. 
When you are happy, save your masterpiece by clicking the 'Save ' button above your image and save photo.
All done, now you can make someones day by posting your good work onto their FB page or sending it to them in an e-mail ;)
Lot's of love,
Jennie
xXx



7 comments:

Pull Your Socks Up! said...

I was fiddling about with this only tonight trying to work it out and you've sorted it all out for me!!! Twin spirits? Thank you lovely xoxoxoxo

Katie Frank said...

wow this is wonderful *_* <3
http://coeursdefoxes.blogspot.com/

Vix said...

I haven't bought a greetings card since I discovered this, I lose hours playing! xxx

freckleface said...

Oh thank you for showing us that, you have saved me hours!! :D xxx

Becky said...

Awww that is so sweet! I love this :)

Lisa @PicMonkey said...

Thanks for sharing your skills! Great tutorial.
Yer pals at PicMonkey

mispapelicos said...

I followed the instructions of Clare, but I shall keep your post in my marker for further use.
Thank yoy my gorgeous, and happy Sunday.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX