Sunday 17 February 2013

On the Buses

I am most definitely a cloud spotter, one of my favourite things to do in the summer is to wander up to the park, sprawl out on the grass and just lay there for hours watching the clouds drift by.
Today we went along to Selfridges to listen to Gavin Pretor-Pinney who is the founder of The Cloud Appreciation Society
The hour long talk was both entertaining and enlightening but I would have loved for it to have lasted longer. I think Mr Pretor-Pinney would be the perfect dinner party guest cause he is funny and engaging in equal measures.
The talk was free and if you could guess the different cloud types featured in the presentation, you were given a little badge.
After the talk we browsed the book section of Selfridges but perhaps needless to say we didn't buy anything.
Years of car boot sale buying has made it quite impossible for me to pay more than a fiver for a book, unless I'm buying it straight from the authors website or amazon.
Selfridges' prices are simply not compatible with my thrifty nature but it's nice to have a wee look.
As we were making our way back home we came across two old buses and a whole heap of bus enthusiasts taking pictures of them.
Such a retrotastic backdrop seemed too good to miss out on, so we joined the throng of "bus spotters" and quickly snapped a few pics ourselves :)
H&M tiger stripe coat, vintage 60s Chinese sign print dress, vintage 50s booties, layered tights, self-made necklace, velvet gloves and my Stockholm syndrom wiggy-woo.
I do have a black and white setting on my camera but these pics had the effect added on PicMonkey.
I think B&W is the perfect tool for enhancing the whole retro vibe.
We had to be super quick when taking these photos cause the "bus spotters" weren't really that interested in having a dolly bird in their pics ;)
Hope you have all had a wonderful weekend.
Lot's of love,
Jennie
xXx


25 comments:

Becky said...

Cloud Appreciation Society-- never heard of it, but it sounds like it was fun. Love the striped tiger coat, velvet gloves, wig, booties. You must have tiny feet to fit into the vintage booties. The only vintage shoes I can wear are men's! The bus pics are cool!

Alexandra Zakharova said...

Amazing!! Pretty pictures as well!
Have a fabulous time!

Best wishes, Alexandra
www.svetusvet.blogspot.com

thorne garnet said...

when I was a little girl, we lived on the coast of California, one of my favorite things to do in the summer was to lay on the lawn and watch the clouds roll in from the ocean. My friend and I would make up all sorts of stories about the clouds.

I'm in love with your coat!

invisiblefashion said...

Great photos! I love the coat!

Panty Buns said...

I'm afraid I don't know my clouds very well but I do enjoy looking at the puffy ones in the blue sky and using my imagination and (of course) enjoy looking at all the various kinds and shapes of clouds turning colours in sunsets and sunrises.
You were an extraordinarily lovely "dolly bird" in your vintage 60s Chinese sign print dress! Have you ever been featured in the talkies? Any silent films? (YouTube?)
Lots of love back :)

Olga Rani said...

That's what I like too - on sunny summer day to lay in the grass and watch the clouds. So relaxing.
Love the retro photos

Vix said...

Fab pictures, black and white shots are wonderfully atmospheric.
I love vintage buses and you're right, most (male) vehicle enthusiasts get very cross when someone poses in front of them - years of meets have educated me, thus.
I know nothing of clouds although I read William Boyd's Ordinary Thunderstorms recently and it taught me a few new words.
xxx

Anonymous said...

Love the whole retro vibe of the black and white, your coat and outfit, and your wig! Hubby's a pilot so he can name every type of cloud in the sky, but I just like looking for 'pictures in the sky.' I'm intrigued to know that there's a Cloud Appreciation Society out there! xo

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lovely day, sometimes we just forgot to watch the sky, it's always there to reminds us who we are, to suggests us we have no limits and infinite considerations.
I never hear of the cloud appreciation society before, I'm sure it was great to listen to such a great man!
The photoshoot is amazing, you look gorgeous as always and it reminds me of the early Cindy Sherman's works!
Love xxxxxxx

freckleface said...

It's that coat and those boots again. I sure do love 'em.

You look straight out of a 1960s kitchen sink drama. I can't help wondering what has happened and where this young lady is going on the bus.

Bus spotters. You'd think they'd be grateful for a dolly bird in their shots. It's beyond me. xxxxx p.s. love wiggy!

Gemma Talbot said...

Your coat is gorgeous! X

http://whatisinherwardrobe.blogspot.co.uk

Lucy Elizabeth King said...

Loving your blog :)
From your neweset follower xx

Marcela Gmd said...

Wow beautiful photos!!! I love the coat!
Have a good week, dear!

Besos, desde EspaƱa, Marcela♥

Lucys Lounge said...

thanks for the photo tip. your dress is lovely. lucyx

Unknown said...

I love it - Cloud appreciation society! how cool is that?
I too love to lay in the grass or lean against a tree and watch the clouds go by - i imagine crazy creatures flying by..i did when i was a little girl and still doing it at 53!
Those B&W pics are perfect, you look like a model in the 60s no joke! You remind me of those 60s British Movies i love so and still watch,
I was reading your comment on my blog and girl if i could work all winter and have summer off i would be a happy girl i tell you...thinking a lot these days i want to make the right choice - I get bored quick as well...

Take care

Ariane xxx

Unknown said...

Love it!!

Un bacio

http://couturetrend.blogspot.it/

Unknown said...

Ooh I bloody love that coat so much! The buses are fab and the pics are lovely!

Sarah xxx

MILEX said...

I like your way of thinking

mispapelicos said...

Great photos, and I do love picmonkey too.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Unknown said...

What a pretty lady you are! xo

Miss Simmonds Says said...

I'm obsessed with clouds too, which is partly why I love Constable so much. Love that jacket and the glam syrup fig. I love those old buses, such pleasing shapes!

Anonymous said...

I love those pictures very vintage! :) x

Monsterchen said...

those pictures are sublime and look totally original from the 60´s.
i love that coat!!!
kiss,mary

Sarah // DOTTY said...

That sounds such a cool talk. Did you win a badge?! I <3 your coat, too.
X

Patricia G. said...

Love this Photos and outfit!
Donkeycool.blogspot.com