Sunday 3 March 2013

The Day I became a Dandy Lion

Yesterday Mark and I primed our bags with vintage goodies and made the trip to The Dandy Lion 'Ladyfolk' Market at the Oxford in Kentish Town.
I was so impressed with the pub, it is the perfect setting for a craft/vintage market. We were given a cracking pitch and were set up a whole lot quicker this week, I've been practicing at home you see ;)
We had such a wonderful day and I was so inspired by all the fabulously creative sellers there.
I'd like to introduce you to some of them because quite frankly I think they ROCK!
First off is the lovely Camilla, she is a fellow creative Swede living in London... 
She makes brilliant 'bookish necklaces' and super funky vinyl record bookends.
I am going to link all the wonderful sellers (when possible) so that you can check them out for yourself, should something catch your eye.
Camilla has got an ETSY shop and sells her fabulous and very affordable wares to all over the world.
The second seller I would like to give a shout out to is Amanda, she makes gorgeous handmade cards & funky wee gifts. She doesn't have an on-line shop as yet but she's got a Facebook page, The Prettiest Thing...
Julia of Collar Me Happy makes stunning bespoke and ready to wear collars...
 I fell in love with a few but I am still on a "buying ban"...och!
I think that's what they call "being good", alas not much fun when faced with so much awesomeness...
Astrid Vaswani was there with her gorgeous daughter Jessica (out best customer) selling a wonderful array of funky jewelry.
Annemarie is behind She's Got it Made and she makes fabulous cushions,  cats and owls from groovy vintage fabrics.
Claire's stall Bright River was selling an array of fabulous cards and prints including some drawn from her mothers artwork.
The creative genius behind Words & Roses is called Luisa Cotardo and she makes some very romantic and stunning rose themed items...
Julia of Jamilicious were there to tempt everybody with handmade preserves and sweets.
The fabulous ceramic pots and ornaments are handmade by SuzanArt
Fellow first timer Lydia's Lockets sold beautiful handmade jewelry and I was lucky enough to win one of her lovely necklaces in the tombola, needless to say I was chuffed to bits, it's gorgeous! 
 When we first arrived in the morning I was quite nervous but after being beamed a fantastically warm and friendly smile by Mark of Gorgeous Jewellery I just knew it was going to be a fabulous day.
We had the tremendous pleasure of meeting Mark's very lovely wife Sue later on, she is the 'creative genius' in this fabulous team.
I didn't catch the name of the lovely chap that was in charge of the tombola but he did a sterling job at beaming out positivity too, what a fabulous bunch of people :)
 Shonel of Poetic Solace makes some seriously funky jewellery, she will be trading at the Craft Jam Fair in Kingly Court, Carnaby Street here in London next Saturday, if you pop along have a look out for Camilla of 'Mind The Book' too.
Bestitched  make fun and quirky framed cross stitch and they also sell funky cards and labels/tags, they have a bigcartel shop.
I hope I haven't missed anybody out and if I have, I apologize profusely...
I'll get you next month ;)
There is one seller that I haven't mentioned though...
the remarkable woman that made all of this possible and what a darling marvel of a woman she is!
 Leslie puts her heart and soul into organizing The Dandy Lion Market and she does a BRILLIANT job!
I've only known this woman for a week but it feels like we've been pals forever, I think Leslie is amazing!
So a big thanks to the woman that made it all happen, to the inspirational & talented sellers that were there on the day and of course to the lovely customers that came through the doors :)
Both Mark and I had such a fantastic day and we can't wait for the next market....
Frocktasia has finally grown a pair of wings and it is wonderful!
A few pints and some cracking company marked the end of  a perfect day :)
Loved every single minute of it!
Hope you have all had an equally fabulous weekend.
Lot's of love,
Jennie
xXx



13 comments:

Helga said...

Crikey, you were in grand company!!!
I'm so pleased you're finding your market wings! It just seems a great time, selling and hanging with fabulous like minded people! I reckon I would have been staggering off with armloads of goodies, it's awesomeness everywhere I look! XXX

Lucys Lounge said...

well good for you i'm glad it all went well. its always nerve racking at the start of the day. you did a great report on it I feel I was there . i'm looking forward to the next one. lucyx

thorne garnet said...

what a cool place to have a sale. And it starts at noon. Here everything starts at 7 freaking am. Lots of cool looking things.

Vix said...

I'm so pleased you found your wings!
Your set-up looked great and you thoroughly deserved that bitter! How fantastic to get a regular pitch, your confidence can only increase month by month! I'm not sure what it is about those fairs I like the most, making money or meeting so many like-minded people in one place. I love my new-found vintage family and am so excited to see them again at each fair.
Here's to fantastic new careers and no more crippling ebay fees! xxx

freckleface said...

Well done Jennie, you have worked so hard and learned so fast, all credit to you.

Sounds like you made some lovely new friends too, what a bonus! xxx

Anonymous said...

Well done Jennie! Your pitch looks great :) really happy that this is all coming together for you, you amoung others do inspire me to keep on with it all :) xx

Leslie Wilson-Rutterford said...

Enjoy todays' installment? Did I ever! Wow! Thank you for this most excellent reportage and promotion of my baby. Beautiful words and pictures. I'm so pleased to have you on board and you are a super addition to the Dandy family. We're always on the look out for new talent but cherish those who come and stay awhile, too. It wouldn't be complete without you and Mark, and I thank you wholeheartedly for your contribution. See you soon, and def at the next Dandy April 6th!

Mind the Book said...

Jennie, I am also speechless!!! Many, many thx

Had a great day in your company. Hoppas vi ses snart igen!

LOVE your style, both in writing and clothing : )

Panty Buns said...

Leslie's "The Dandy Lion 'Ladyfolk' Market" turned The Oxford in Kentish Town into what must be the most fabulous vintage shoppe I've ever laid eyes on in photos. Your setup displayed your pretty and colourful precious frocks beautifully. Brilliantly done! What a wonderful place to shop. All the clothing, knick-knacks and jewelry look lovely and the preserves look tasty. I love those throw pillows.

Trees said...

This looks like so much fun! This is what I love about having a market stall, even if you don't make much money you get to spend the day with like minded people which is just so much fun!

Miss Simmonds Says said...

I keep saying it but in the next couple of months I'll come up to the dandy lion again. I'm rather in love with that rose hat! xx

Krista said...

Well aren't you just getting in the swing of things. You will be a regular at this before you know it. Your booth looks tasty and so do all the other sellers. So happy you have a great way to sell your fabulous stock. Keep it up sweetie!
Xxoo

citizen rosebud said...

I wish I could shop there- what a grand event it looks! Words and Roses has enchanted me- I'd love to see more of her wares. I hope you had a successful day- you make quite a striking and dandy, dandy lion!