Sunday 19 January 2014

Fifteen minutes of frock fame

Mark and I took some time-out after moving. We needed it, the process had made big demands on us, both emotionally and physically. Thankfully we were able to take our time over things. 
When we first moved up we went straight into hyper-drive trying to find a flat. 
I'd trawl the net in the evening, Mark would arrange viewings in the morning and then off we would go traversing Glasgow, on the hunt for our new home. 
Our budget was quite low so the quality of what was on offer was very often hugely disappointing. 
Damp damaged buildings with signs reading 'No Loitering' nailed up above the entrance. A plethora of claustrophobic boltholes, riddled with mold, ripped woodchip & stained carpets.
After three stressful weeks we finally found a place that we could see ourselves in, it's not quite the five bedroom Victorian  townhouse that I cosmically ordered but it's definitely the cream of the crop in our budget category.
I will give you a tour of the house at some point, just need to don a pair of marigolds first and get it up to Hello Magazine standard.

Over the past few days the wheels of productivity have slowly started turning again.
We've booked a market for Frocktasia's relaunch on the 9th of February . It is called Little Birds Market and it is a monthly do held at an amazing venue here in Glasgow called Sloanes.
We've applied for a stall at another market called Granny Would Be Proud but it's yet to be confirmed. Today Mark and I took a little research trip to check out Judy's Affordable Vintage Fair that was in Glasgow for the day and both of us agreed that it would be a great one to get in about next time it is in town.
So it's back in the saddle for me and to be honest, after all this "time-off" I'm feeling well and truly up for it.

In my last post I promised that I'd share the pics that Mark and I took on our micro roadtrip to Largs. I played around with them on PicMonkey (that I still use religiously). As a complete Jennie Pinchpenny I still haven't upgraded to Royal but I have to confess, that of late I have been sorely tempted. For some reason the wretched skin under my eyes has decided to not just puff  but also wrinkle up and some days it looks as if I've super glued skincoloured  raisins underneath my eyes. I feel the need for some PicMonkey surgery. Are any of you lovely peeps using PicMonkey Royal and if so what do you think of it?

Anyroad the pics...these were taken en route from Largs to Greenock by the Firth of Clyde in North Ayrshire. We shot two frocks, the first one is an Indian dress that I picked up from Holloway market a few years ago and the second is a stunning 70s Jean Varon frock that I scored at a car boot sale last year.

Hope you liked them? We are hoping to do plenty more of these wee photo sessions in the future. There are so many stunning backdrops to take advantage of  nearby to us and so many frocks yearning for their fifteen minutes of fame here on the blog.

Hope you are having a lovely weekend.
Loads of love,
Jennie
xXx


14 comments:

Krista said...

I can't wait to see how you make your new place a home! These pictures are stunning, beautiful background gorgeous you! Take your time getting to know your new surrounds, savor the flavors.
Xxoo

Trees said...

So glad to see you are feeling more refreshed and ready to take on life in your new city! I love that first frock :)

Connie Staccato said...

Love these dresses and LOVE your new fringe!

Unknown said...

Love the pics and cant wait to se your new home , looking good in that new fringe of yours !
kram !

Ivy Black said...

Gorgeous photos, you look divine. Can't wait to see your new homex

mispapelicos said...

Wonderful photos, model and dresses, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Leslie Wilson-Rutterford said...

Great update, Jennie. I'm so glad you're finding your niche in Glasgow, continuing the lovely journey you and your hubby so enjoy and are so good at! I love these photos - atmospheric and nostalgic.Hope your launch goes wonderfully and marks the start of a super successful vintage scene takeover! Lots of love, Leslie xx

Unknown said...

Wonder why i wrote fringe when i meant bangs.. Weird..

thorne garnet said...

good to see you back and frocking it up. And it looks like your hair has magically changed

Curtise said...

The photos - and the frocks - are gorgeous. I upgrade to PicMonkey Royale, it's only a fiver a month, and I like being able to play around with the effects, not so much for digital cosmetic surgery purposes, but for all the other things it can do!
Good news that you are on the vintage market/fair trail again, hope the selling goes well.
PS. The mould, ripped woodchip and stained carpets you described sound horribly reminiscent of my house... xxx

Lucys Lounge said...

you look great i love the photos. the best of luck with your new life. everything takes time when you change but its worth the wait. lucy

Hope Adela Pasztor said...

I love both outfits! They're so bohemian and creative.

http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

Luna Tiger said...

Thanks for your cool comment !
I love your red dress and you beautifully accessorized it !
http://selenite.weebly.com

Panty Buns said...

Best of luck with everything at Frockasia's relaunch on February 9th!
I've given up on the idea of photoshopping myself. It's a bit beyond me. Try not to cringe too much at some of the pics and videos in my (hopefully) upcoming posts?
That Indian dress is very pretty. I like the colour, the light airy look and the ornamentation.
That second frock is best described by the word you used yourself - STUNNING! So it's a John Bates design under the name Jean Varon? I noticed he's listed under the Vintage Fashion Guild : Label Resource : Varon, Jean as possibly one of the greatest forgotten talents of the 1960s and 1970s. I was fascinated to read that John Bates (a.k.a. Jean Varon) had designed outfits for Diana Rigg worn in her role as Emma Peel in The Avengers, and had been considered by Marit Allen, a Vogue Editor, to be the true inventor of the miniskirt There are mupltiple claims to that distinction).
That Jean Varon frock you posed in by the Firth of Clyde in North Ayrshire is a true masterpiece! I love the amazing detail of the puff shoulders, delicate looking sleeves, the trim all around the neckline, the diamond shaped design on lovely semi-sheer fabric and the ornate section above the hem of the dress. What a beauty!

http://www.full-brief-panties.blogspot.com/