Sunday 17 March 2013

I don't want to grow up

In the late 70s I used to watch an animated program on Swedish telly called 'Fabrorn som inte vill va stor' which translates to 'The man who doesn't want to be a grown up'. 
The story is about a 32 year old man who works in an office but spends most his days escaping into dreams about being a kid again.
Here's the opening score...
The idea of never wanting to "grow up" is one that has been quite prevalent in my own life.
It's not that I'm immature or shy away from responsibility but I've just never been able to buy into the whole "You're an adult now, stop doing fun things" malarkey.
If it makes you happy surely you should continue doing it regardless of what age you happen to be?!
The way I see it climbing a tree, having a go on the swings or playing dress up shouldn't have a "best do before date", that's just bullshit!
When I was working at a nursery school in 2003 the other ladies would roll their eyes as I ran around with the kids playing. 
They'd just stand there like playground police, intermittently shouting orders at the kids whilst regurgitating all the crap they'd watched on the telly the previous night.
I'm not one for just standing around and I will find work for myself, if other people struggle to.
Getting involved in the games that the kids were playing made the eight hour working day go a whole lot quicker than if I had just sat on my ass, chin-wagging about absolute nonsense.
I still love swinging around lampposts and walking on walls & balancing on bollards.
Do I ever fear the disapproval or ridicule of others?
Over the years I've become rather indifferent to what other people think cause in the grand scheme of things they don't really matter.
What matters is that I am happy in my own 'big kid' skin.
Thankfully Mark is very similar to me so I don't have to be a completely lone "loon" skipping down the street vaulting over obstacles and swinging off railings.
Vintage jacket, 60s pleated mini dress, tulle skirt, 90s floral lace leotard, 90s scrunch textured leggings, boucle baker boy cap, DM boots  & Frocktasia Earrings and necklace.
 A close-up of my 'Got To Pick A Pocket Or Two' necklace...
I'm dreadfully behind on my blog reading this week but I'm hoping to grab a few hours later to catch up on what you gorgeous peeps have been up to :)

We went to the awesome Hunterian Museum at the Royal College of Surgeons near Holborn today.
Unfortunately you are not allowed to take photos or film but you can check out some of the rather ghoulish exhibits here.
Hope you are all having a fabulous & funderful weekend.
Today's tune is by The Ramones, enjoy :)
Loads of love,
Jennie
xXx


8 comments:

Panty Buns said...

I couldn't agree with you more. When I told my therapist that I had promised myself I'd never grow up she asked: "Peter Pan?". The answer was yes.

I'm very envious of your youth, fitness and your GORGEOUS outfits! All of your outfits are stunning! Your vintage jewelry and that marvelous jacket with the wide lapels and diamond trim detail are remarkable, but what I really covet (I know that's wrong of me) are those skirts - especially the gorgeous skirt in that last photo.

I remind myself a little of Tim Curry in The Rocky Horror Picture Show singing of Fay Wray: "how I started to cry, because I wanted to be dressed just the same"

What amazing outfits. I love the theme of your photos. You've captured that young spirit beautifully. I like that song by the Ramones "I Don't Wanna Grow Up" too.

Trees said...

Agreed - growing up is LAME! Especially if it means I have to wear lame boring clothes and be boring in general. Life is fun and it should be lived. Also I can't believe those other ladies when you worked at daycare - HOW BORING! I taught for a year and the best thing was singing, dancing and playing with the kids:)

Becky said...

Love the black lace bodysuit and cute dress!! So jealous of your weather-- you get to wear cute hats and gloves. Too hot here for that-- only the bare bones of fashion 'cause we gotta stay cool.
I have def noticed judgement. I have a long history of not giving a shit.
Becky :)

Ulla-Marie said...

Du ser majestätisk ut när du blir fotad på en lekplats. Det är bara sådana som har starquality som lyckas med det.

Anonymous said...

Im so glad i scrolled down to a close up of that necklace its so cool! :) i love being a big kid!!! :D

mispapelicos said...

Childhood wasn´t a happy time for me, so I am more than glad to be were I am, LOl
I am wearing your shirt.
Besossssssssssssss

Miss Simmonds Says said...

I'm dying (wrong word perhaps?) to go to that museum. I loved that clip, I can really relate to not wanting to grow up. Your dress is fab, I love tulle and I love DMs, childlike but grown up, but not sensible, perfect xx

thorne garnet said...

I worked with a woman who told me I had an immature attitude. She lasted 2 semesters, I'm going on 20 years, nah nah take that.