Sunday 17 March 2013

Just call me Kelly Kildare

In honour of Saint Patrick's Day I decided to squeeze in to my Irish dancing frock and pretend that my name is Kelly Kildare. 
There's just enough room in this dress for my lungs to keep functioning properly so they'll be no binging on colcannon & Guinness, as for dancing and listening to fabulous folk music...bring it on!
I'd been on the hunt for a traditional Irish dancing dress for ages but on eBay they were always either too small or too expensive.
I couldn't believe my luck when I stumbled upon this beauty at a car boot sale a few years ago.
It was more than affordable, the chap selling it said that he was happy to let it go cheap if he knew it was going to a loving home.
I love the fabulously bright cherry red colour.
It came complete with cape sash and crochet collar, I simply couldn't have asked for more!
Sure it's not in mint condition, it's got a few nibbles and marks here and there but it is worth every single penny that I paid for it!
Just look at the Celtic knot applique & embroidery...stunning!
It's been very dreich outside today and the drizzle has been pretty much constant.
We'd run out of bird seed, so we popped to poundland to get a few more bags.
On the way back we stopped off to feed Lilo and friends. 
They weren't that interested  today cause I think they'd already had their fill.
Sometimes we don't bother going up on a Saturday or Sunday cause there are so many other people feeding the birds over the weekend but I do like to pop up if it's a particularly cold or damp day, just in case.
It's been rather windy lately & my flimsy fine hair is being swept in all directions making me feel like The Baldy Man :)
I don't use hairspray so I guess I'll just have to live with it...
Today's Ensemble:
Traditional Irish dancing dress, vintage 50s velvet jacket, Victorian style lace-up boots,  Celtic  folk art inspired earrings, patterned tights, gloves & Frocktasia black rose headdress.
Hope you've all had a fabulous weekend...
 Beannacht Lá Fhéile Pádraig!
Today's tune is by one of my all time favourite Irish singer songwriters Luka Bloom, enjoy :)
Loads of love,
Jennie
xXx


20 comments:

Panty Buns said...

I'm tremendously impressed! My wee bit of Irish is admiring all things Irish today. Your traditional Irish dancing dress with triquetra (celtic knot) applique is fabulous. Can you actualy do an Irish jig or dance like they do in Riverdance? I love watching Irish dancing. Today I put on the green eyelash ruffle top I wore in my last blog post, but stayed home (so far). Your frock is fantastic. I enjoyed listening to "You Couldn't Have Come At a Better Time" by Luka Bloom. Beautiful post Ms. Kildare! I'm about to re-listen to not quite so Irish music but by an Irish singer named Enya, singing Book of Days on YouTube

Have happy, fun and Irish influenced Saint Patrick's Day! I LOVE that Irish dancing dress and your entire outfit.

Rose&Bird said...

The dress is stunning, it looks amazing on you! I've never seen one in red before, they always seem to be black or green. I feel a bit guilty telling you we've had a really sunny afternoon despite heavy rain last night and this morning.

Helga said...

Well, don't you look a treat!!!
That is the CUTEST, cheeriest frock, and you are a dream in it! I expect you pranced about quite perkily all day! I don't think I;d be able to resist flashing my knickers in such a flippy, twirly sweetie like that!
Party ON!
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Becky said...

Gorgeous!!!! I adore you in that dress! Thanks for sharing the song... It was lovely and I'd never heard of him. Luka Bloom--- he's got the same last name as Leopold Bloom, one of James Joyce's famous characters! Great day for all things Irish :)
Becky

Ulla-Marie said...

Du är ju fullproppad med karisma, jänta!

Mariela Santillan said...

I am jealous! That is a gorgeous, beautiful dress. It suits you and you look great.

Unknown said...

hi dear! Looking lovely:) Im ur new follower! I would appreciate if you follow me back and can you plzzz click on SHEINSIDE IN RED on my blog? I do need it! xo
www.fashionearthyrainbows.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I love the outfit! I took Irish dance lessons for a few months when I was a kid it turns out I couldnt do it and all I did was "posh skipping" my friends still have their dresses and I know a lady that made them :) x

Olga Rani said...

So stunning dress, from the colour to the embroidery and style.

Indigo Violet said...

I love that word "dreich" - my family emigrated from Scotland generations ago and I remember my parents using it! And your dress counteracts it perfectly.

Curtise said...

What a glorious frock, fabulous colour and embroidery, perfect for cheering up a dull and drizzly day! xxx

Kitty said...

Ah yes, but did you go out Irish dancing in it?! Now that *would* have been a sight for sore eyes!!

Frocktasia said...

Kitty, I did try but I think it turned out to be more of a Raindance than Riverdance ;)

Vix said...

What a sweet dress! You look smashing in it with those sassy lace ups and fur-trimmed jacket.
It's been glorious here - well, glorious in that the sun's out, it's still effing freezing! xxxx

Sharon S said...

Hi there! Happy belated St Patricks day and your dress is so vibrant and fits like a glove, I'm adoring the fine embroidered work on it too! The cost of the stalls are for the larger size 3 x 3 metres is £98.00 and smaller size 2 x 2 metres is £65.00. Let me know if you want a comp ticket, I can pop one in the post to you!

citizen rosebud said...

What a gorgeous frock- and it looks perfect on you!

Louise Mc said...

Oh my, that is beautiful. It reminds me of my childhood, I did Irish dancing and had a navy blue dress. Did you know the colour and knotwork is particular to each county in Ireland? I wonder where yours is from.

Miss Simmonds Says said...

what a gorgeous dress...the embroidery is just wonderful. It fits you perfectly as looks in great condition. Love the headband with it too!

Rosalind said...

It's awesome - what a brilliant find and how wonderful that the guy selling it wanted to ensure it was going to a good home too.

Unknown said...

Hi Jennie !
This dress is so wonderful, so unique!
It looks so perfect on you!
Ariane xxx